Imagination

Found this heart shape on the bathroom sink one day and snapped a picture before I wiped the counter.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.”  — Albert Einstein

As children, weren't we all told that something could not possibly be real because... it was just our imagination? Today, as an adult, I would not be where I am without my imagination. What is writing fiction if not relying on our imagination? As the character in The Magic of Belle Isle, Monty Wildhorn, an alcoholic novelist, tells his neighbor, young aspiring writer, Finnegan O'Neil, to see what isn't there. Seeing what isn't there is the essence of writing fiction, but also the realms of inventors, scientists, quantum physicists, just to name a few. I would get nowhere as an animal communicator if I relied solely on what I could see because animals communicate largely by showing us pictures in our minds, in other words, our imagination.
I give a large amount of credit to Dr. Wayne Dyer for his words that helped set me on the path of writing everyday. He said, if you want to be a writer, write. Three books under my belt later, I'm halfway through my fourth and don't see an end in sight any time soon. I fell in love with the idea of writing as a teenager and haven't lost my romantic ideal, even though it doesn't yet pay any bills, not big ones anyway.
When writing, get in touch with your imagination by going with your first thought... it'll be the right one.

Comments

Popular Posts