What Works for Me



My first official post. I'm not only sharing recipes... more like "What Works for Me". I named this blog Recipes from a Writer because I wanted to combine two things that I love doing- baking and writing. Baking is my hobby. I do it to relax and/or think. I've been baking since I was eight years old, when I iced my first cake with granulated sugar, melted butter, and cocoa powder. The frosting came out looking like mud with the consistency of wet sand, but my sister swears it tasted good anyways. And I gave my blog it's name because writing is what I do every day to stay grounded. It's my meditation. If you haven't read Natalie Goldberg's Writing Down the Bones, check it out. It inspired me right after I began my first romance novel. You don't have to be Jack Kerouac (although at 15, I wanted to be), writing stream of consciousness in order for writing to be your practice. You can actually write romance novels like I do and still let your mind be receptive. I've surprised myself with how much debris comes up doing this. And I especially like how well the book's seemingly unconnected dots form a coherent picture when it's finished. Writing feels like walking down a dark hallway with no light switch. It's not until the work is complete that you find the light switch and it all makes sense.
Some more things to know about me... I'm mother of two, wife to my best friend, home school mom, animal lover (Juliet ourBernese Mountain Dog picture above), and writer- not necessarily in that order.

  

Comments

Popular Posts